Joint Feasibility Studies
The CS Hub has invested in 5 Joint Feasibility Studies, each 6 months in duration.
The EPSRC Future Manufacturing Research Hubs in Composites, Compound Semiconductors, Metrology and Photonics partnered to offer funding to support a number of Feasibility Studies at TRLs 1 to 3. The funding was available for novel research in manufacturing technologies pertinent to the priority areas identified by each of the four partner Hubs.
The Future Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing Research Hub sought proposals that addressed the challenge of integrating functionality using compound semiconductors, including electronics, optoelectronics and sensors; or integrate different compound semiconductors and silicon measurement of materials and structures becomes critical.
The studies funded in 2020 are:
- Manufacturing of large-area InP on nano-V-grooved CMOS-compatible Si
- Novel GaN–based Vertical Transistors for LED Driver Applications
- Measurement of Carrier-Induced Electro-refraction in InAs/In(Ga)As Quantum Dots
- Vertical-cavity LASER arrays for BRAIN-inspired photonics (LASERBRAIN)
- Semi-insulating SiC epitaxy on SiC and Si substrates, for monolithic integration of GaN “on insulator” RF technology and high voltage SiC devices.