CS Hub is 1 of 13 UK Future Manufacturing Hubs, funded by EPSRC and industry and first launched in October 2016.
The CS Hub performs unique, exciting and vital research into large scale Compound Semiconductor (CS) manufacturing, and in manufacturing integrated CSs on Silicon. In association with the Institute for Compound Semiconductors at Cardiff University, we provide world-leading facilities that translates CS research into large-scale growth and device fabrication. The CS Hub aims to make huge inroads to the use of CSs as an alternative to silicon, which will allow other scientific and technical areas to flourish. Essential to the future of most technologies, Compound semiconductor materials are a Key Enabling Technology at the heart of modern society. Next generation technologies will only be achieved with a huge increase in compound semiconductor manufacture, and integral to supporting the UK economy.
The CS Hub is led from Cardiff University, with spokes at University of Manchester, University of Sheffield, and University College London. We have >30 industrial partners participating in the CS Hub by providing resources, time and expertise. Existing CS Hub partners can be found at partner organisations.
We also have strong links with colleagues in other Hubs, particularly the Future Advanced Metrology Hub and the Future Photonics Hub. These links support and complement our CS research, and facilitate larger investments for promising, cross-cutting feasibility studies.
Work Package Leads And Key Principle Investigators
- Prof. Peter Smowton, Hub Director, Cardiff University
- Prof. Paul Tasker, GC2 Lead, Cardiff University
- Prof. Alwyn Seeds, GC1 lead, UCL
- Prof. David Wallis, WP1 Lead, Cardiff University
- Dr Sara-Jayne Gillgrass, WP2 Lead, Cardiff University
- Dr Craig Allford, WP3 Lead, Cardiff University
- Prof. Huiyun Liu, WP4 Lead, UCL
- Prof. Khaled Elgaid, WP5 Lead, Cardiff University
- Prof. Tao Wang, WP6 Lead, University of Cardiff
- Prof. Mo Missous, WP7 Lead, University of Manchester
- Dr Yun Long, WP9 Lead, Cardiff University
- Prof. Mike Wale, UCL
- Prof. Sir Michael Pepper, UCL
- Dr Mingchu Tang, UCL
- Dr Qiang Li, Cardiff University
- Dr Sam Shutts, Cardiff University
CS Hub Video
The CS Hub has created the following video to highlight not only the range of research that we are currently undertaking, but also our existing industry partnership connections and the mutual benefits for research, translation and exploitation.